BluEarth Asset Management (“BEAM”) is a subsidiary of BluEarth Renewables Inc. (“BluEarth”), accountable for operations and maintenance of BluEarth’s renewable energy facilities.BluEarth is a private company focused upon commercial-scale renewable energy development and operations. As an independent renewable power producer, our goal is to build, own, and operate sustainable wind, water, and solar generation projects. At BluEarth, we are developing and operating a portfolio of energy projects that optimizes people, planet, and profits. We bring together extraordinary people with the power to change the future TM.
Our Core Values
- Be Passionate. We have an inner fire to do great work and leave the world a better place.
- Be Agile. We keep pace with the now and next and adapting to change runs through our veins.
- Be Proud. We go the extra mile because we are proud of our business and a job well done.
- Be Humble. We believe putting our ego aside and working together builds community and forges strong relationships.
- Be Persistent. We never give up and thrive on challenges that would unnerve others.
The Hydrologist will report to the Director of Hydro Operations and be based out of North Vancouver with travel to Operating facilities across the Sunshine Coast. The role will be accountable for operating and maintaining all existing hydrometric monitoring and gauging stations related to BluEarths Hydro Operations and development projects and ensuring infrastructure is maintained to the appropriate federal and provincial standards.
Accountabilities and Duties
- Completing ongoing maintenance of existing hydrometric stations within the BluEarth hydro division;
- Ensure facilities are maintained to the current applicable standards;
- Conducting field based hydrometric surveys using various techniques and maintenance of a hydrometric database;
- Working with high voltage equipment and troubleshooting equipment such as multimeters, voltage testers, etc;
- Maintaining and updating rating curves in accordance with BC RISC standards;
- Working closely with plant operations personnel in the troubleshooting and implementation of corrective actions as required;
- Completion of monthly and annual compliance reporting for agency review;
- Working with operations team to ensure the facilities achieve greater than 98% availability, and maximizing return while respecting approved budgets;
- Support operations team in completing incident response and reporting;
- Maintaining key relationships with landowners, stakeholders and agencies as required;
- Uphold all aspects of BEAM’s Health, Safety & Environmental policies, practices, and programs and work to ensure that all activities are administered with the same care and requirements such that occupational accidents, injuries, and other hazards related to BEAM’s activities are minimized and/or avoided;
- Complete tasks while maintaining a target of zero environmental, health and safety incidents and/or occurrences;
- Uphold BE Develop a culture of team work, pride and ownership within hydro operations;
- AM’s values and consistently enhance the image and reputation of the Company;
- Other duties as required.
As the position continues to evolve and BEAM advances its growth plan, modifications to the key functions set out herein are likely.
- B.Sc. Or M.Sc in Hydrology or River Engineering or equivalent education
Experience and Skills
- Five to 10 years of field based experience;
- Experience directly related to hydro electric facilities, operations and other controlled waterbodies is an asset;
- Familiarity with testing and troubleshooting equipment such as multimeters, voltage testers, etc.
- Familiarity and competency with industry standard hydrometric monitoring systems and software
- Knowledge and experience with upholding safety standards and following applicable regulations;
- Willingness to travel up to 50% or as required;
- Experience working around low voltage equipment;
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety regulations, operations, service and other procedural manuals;
- Strong and effective written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills, with ability to prioritize and manage concurrent tasks with varying deadlines;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office product such as Excel, Power Point, and Outlook.
- Ability to work in remote locations in adverse weather conditions;
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion, as well as have confidence to ask questions to ensure clear, strategic action;
- Passionate about contributing to a positive work environment and development of company culture;
- Highly motivated, with the ability to contribute and collaborate in an energetic and dynamic team environment;
- Ability to work independently or with minimal supervision, stay motivated and take initiative in order to provide results ;
- Professional and respectful;
- Reliable, dependable and trustworthy;
- Enthusiasm for both the job and BluEarth’s initiatives and vision.
- Valid class 5 driver’s license, satisfactory 5 year driver’s abstract and 3 year insurance history;
- Valid Swiftwater Rescue training and certification;
- Valid First-aid and Transportation endorseoment;
- Physically capable of working in and around rivers and streams;
- Physically capable of traveling by crew boat and truck to and from site;
- Flexibility to work a varying schedule including early mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays, in addition to being on-call.